Monday, June 29, 2009

Drag Me to Hell Review- Not a Horror Movie.

Drag me to hell review:by sweetreviewer

A lot of people were pushing for this film. After the raving reviews I decided to go on and watch this movie. I, of course dragged my husband to come and watch it with me.
Sam Raimi is known for adding humor to horror flicks like evil dead. Although during it’s time I really enjoyed watching Evil Dead, I do not consider it Horror by any means. Horror,to me has to not only disgust me, but it also has to scare me till I can’t go to sleep without sitting down on the bed and looking around in the dark, for god knows what. Or Horror can also be more psychological till the point you feel while watching a movie that whatever is taking place might happen to you. Forgive me if that’s too much to ask. But Stephen King can have that effect on you after reading one of his novels. Perhaps, I’m spoiled.

Back to drag me to hell. I was disappointed because it had so much potential as a Horror Film. It was very refreshing to find something original for once. Here’s a little synopsis. In Pasadena, California in 1969, a young Mexican couple rushes to the mansion of wealthy medium Shaun San Dena (Flor de Maria Chahua). Their son had stolen a necklace from a group of gypsies and the gypsies placed a curse on the stolen item three days prior, and since then, he has been complaining of seeing and hearing things not of this earth. San Dena tries to help the boy in a seance, but she and the boy's parents are attacked by an unseen force, which then throws the boy from the second floor of San Dena's home to the first. The boy survives the fall, but as his parents run to help him, San Dena can only watch in horror as the floor opens up under him and he is pulled into Hell by demonic hands. Forty years later, Christine Brown (Alison Lohman), a loan officer in Los Angeles, hopes to be promoted to assistant manager over her conniving co-worker, Stu Rubin (Reggie Lee). Christine's boss, Mr. Jacks (David Paymer), advises her that she needs to demonstrate that she can make tough decisions when she needs to. That same day, Mrs. Sylvia Ganush (Lorna Raver), an elderly gypsy woman, asks for a third extension on her mortgage –Wikipedia.


Christine denies the third extension and the old woman Mrs Ganush places a curse on Christine. Christine is rushing against time, she only has three days to get rid of the curse and hand it to someone else. All this time a Demon is following her, she’s hearing and seeing things. Justin Long is also in the movie, he plays Christine’s boyfriend, who by the way does as a great performance.

Although the movie doesn’t turn out to be what I expected, you can really tell when someone is a great actor despite the movie. Mrs. Ganush the old woman is the scariest character there. She’s very disgusting, which makes her look scary she has one glass eye. The beginning is wonderful it really has me on edge, but then it turns into a humor filled movie. With at times bad acting from Alison Lohman, when she over exaggerates certain lines, And bad acting from Christine's co-worker Stu Rubin (Reggie Lee). At the endanother séance takes place, that includes a talking goat, a demon-- the works-- It was just not my type of “horror movie”. The ending it’s certainly sad, but predictable.


If you like Sam Raimi’s work go watch it for the humor aspect of it. If you were interested in watching a horror movie opt out for when it comes out on DVD by all means do. I would have rather watched Halloween the original for the 725th time then sit through drag me to hell. It literally dragged me to hell, hearing my Hubby’s mouth telling me next time he chooses the movie. At the same time hearing people in back of me saying what a piece of crap it was. It wasn’t crap but it wasn’t horror. If you know that and still want to watch it go ahead. The movie was marketed as horror. A lot of people sad it was really scary and this is why I came out disappointed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment