Friday, August 28, 2009

Film Review: Rob Zombie's Halloween 2. (By Rick)

Review by: Rick Romanowski


Halloween II is exactly what I expected it to be… a jumbled mess of lights, blood and ghosts. I went in having real low expectations but I walked out with a sense of ‘what did I just watch,’ which I guess was better than what I expected. The plot, in simple words, is centering on Laurie who is trying to overcome the terror that had happened to her but Michael is back and he is seeing apparitions of his mom and of himself as a little kid. His ghost mom and his ghost kid-self tell him that he must make Laurie part of the family.

What really bothered me was the fact that none of the characters were likable or even remotely enjoyable to watch. What I enjoyed about the original Halloween II is that Laurie still retained her innocence; she still was this helpless girl that tangled with evil. That’s not the case here! Laurie is a stupid, alcoholic whiny girl who you kind of want to see get killed. Even Loomis is a douche in this movie. The only real person that I actually cared for was the Sheriff because he had depth and emotion.

I loathed the supernatural aspect of this film because it did not need to be in there. They are adding layers of character to Michael that didn’t need to be added… they are trying to make him seem like a person that has a conscience but he simply does not, he is the Boogeyman. Also, why does Michael Myers dress like a homeless guy and why does he have a beard? A homeless looking Michael is not something that I neither am used to nor do I want to see.

In fairness, this movie does have its brutal killings, a lot of blood and some pretty awesome camera angles but what throws me off from this movie is the fact that there are points (specifically Laurie’s dreams) where it’s so LSD induced and so fucked up, I don’t know what to think.

Overall, this movie was a mess and it was hard to follow. There were points where it tried to be serous but it failed and there were times when the corniness, supernatural elements and the characters got in the way of the already messed up plot. I think this movie could have been better had they kept it in the same night and not over the course of a few days. But, this is Zombie’s rendition so I can’t complain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment